Dell Venue 8 Pro
The Dell Venue 8 Pro is a family of tablets that features an Intel Atom (formerly "Bay Trail") processor. There are two variants of the Venue 8 Pro currently.
The Venue 8 Pro 3000 series typically features 1GB of RAM. The Venue 8 Pro 5000 series typically features 2GB of RAM. Console OS does not work on the Dell Venue 8 Pro just yet... but we're very close. There is a known video graphics issue that is preventing it from working. We are working on resolving this issue.
BIOS & Firmware
Running the latest firmware (BIOS), and component firmware updates, are essential for Console OS with Android to work properly. In general, you should always run the latest firmware that has been issued by the manufacturer.
Display Firmware Update
The Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 (also known as 3830 Pro) has a display firmware update. This update improves touch responsiveness, as well as improving stylus performance.
Important: Dell has re-issued this update. If you applied this update before October 1, 2015 - you should re-download the updated firmware and re-apply this update from within Windows.
Dell Naming Confusion
The Dell download site currently refers, incorrectly, to the Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 as the "Venue 3830 Pro"
We are not sure why, but we believe this to be a typographical error. At this time, if drilling down to your tablet, select "Venue 3830 Pro" when choosing the downloads for the 5830. You can also search by your machine's Dell Service Tag to load the correct device.
- Venue 8 Pro 3000 Series - Red (Console OS does not run on this device currently)
- Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series - Red (Console OS does not run on this device currently)
Our goal is to support all variants of the Dell Venue 8 Pro.
The Dell Venue 8 Pro is not supported by Developer Release 1. We are working hard to add support for Developer Release 2, as we transition to Android 5.0, Lollipop.
The main blocking issue stems from the device not offering 64-bit firmware, despite having a 64-bit processor. We are working with relevant industry partners to add support for 32-bit firmware devices, like this one, to Console OS.
Lollipop Release Notes - Please Ignore This for Now, Subject to Change
Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 - BIOS A12 (With Display Panel Firmware Update & ALS Recalibration Update Installed)
- Graphics fails to initialize as soon as the kernel is detected/loaded
- This appears to be a Video BIOS bug as other BYT-T tablets with Win10 refreshed BIOS do not have this issue
- Will follow up with Dell, but first attempting to switch from Mesa to UFO first - hopefully that will fix it
- UPDATE: 32-bit build resolves issue, isolated to 64-bit build
- Still need to try UFO to see if that fixes 64-bit
- Bluetooth not working properly - Radio fails to power up
Running into an issue? See something that you think should be on this page? Hit the green Feedback | Contact Us button below and tell us! We’ll aggregate your feedback and integrate it into the support wiki.